Friday, 3 July 2009

Writing, writing, writing, writing, writing, writing, writing . . .!

Summer has well and truly reached Aberystwyth, the students are long gone, the campus is quiet, and I've a long list of things to finish writing before September comes around and they all come back again!
First up is finishing off the sections I'm writing for my latest book project Calvinistic Methodism in England and Wales, 1735-1811 (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2010). This is intended to be a co-authored work, my other two authors are Boyd Schlenther and Eryn White. I'm writing the opening section, taking the narrative of early Calvinistic Methodism up to 1750. Thankfully I wrote most of it during my sabbatical late last year, just one further chapter to finish off. We've a deadline of the end of the summer (when is that exactly?) to get the completed typescript off to the publishers; most of it is ready, but the big edit to make sure it all fits together is still to come!
Today I've been writing about John Cennick's leadership of Calvinistic Methodism in London, a sad story really since his personal sanctity and other-worldliness made him temperamentally unsuited to lead such an argumentative bunch as the London Calvinists. After presiding over a few more minor secessions, he lost the ocnfidence of Howel Harris, his co-leader of English Calvinistic Methodism, and soon decamped to the rather more serene lifestyle on offer among the Moravians, not before he had taken over 400 people from Whitefield's London Tabernacle with him! He ended up in Ulster planting a number of Moravian churches in the province - the nice thing about this fact being that it was in the church he founded at Gracehill near Ballymena, that my wife, Clare, and I were married - 13 years ago next month!!

1 comment:

Augustinian Successor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.