Friday, 12 June 2009

The long goodbye!

Well this week is a really sad week I'm afraid. One of my oldest friends Leith Haarhoff and his family are emigrating to New Zealand, so its a week of goodbyes! Alwyn Owen, Leith and myself had our last supper, at Gwesty Cymru in Aberystwyth earlier in the week, a lovely if bittersweet evening, reminiscing and thanking God for the ways in which we've seen Him working in one anothers' lives over the last few years! Today Leith and I had our final round of golf at Capel Bangor. We've been playing for a few years, and I think we can see an improvement, well sometimes at least! Leith won today - my late comeback wasn't enough to stave off defeat in the end! There's always next time - where will that be though, Wales, New Zealand, or maybe somewhere in between - how does Seattle sound? Do you think Mark Driscoll is into golf - Clare will caddy if that's the case!! I took a couple of videos to remember the day - so, Leith, when your playing golf in the southern hemisphere sun, think of me in Wales playing, if I can find another poor unfortunate golf partner, in the leaden grey summer skies of mid Wales!

They say you can tell a lot about a man by his golf swing - I've no idea what these two say about us!!!

So thank you Leith for being a terrific friend - you've modelled humble, self-effacing and consistent discipleship of Jesus to me, and my life has been enriched by your example. So I'm really sorry to see you go - and go so far away as well!!

'And now, I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give an inheritance among all those who are sanctified' (Acts 20:32).

1 comment:

Andy Tooley said...

meticulous and precise?! your approach definitely gives that away.